There will be many errors Windows users have to face while working on computers. When it comes to Windows update issues, Error Code 0x80070057 seems to a tough problem that bothers many users. Have no clue how to troubleshoot this problem? Tried to resolve it but ended up with frustration? Just take it easy. This article will talk about how to fix Error Code 0x80070057 occurred in various cases. Read on to get some useful information about error 0x80070057 and learn how best to fix it.
Symptom & Causes Of Error Code 0x80070057:
Before starting to introduce solutions, we should first be aware of causes of the error. Error Code 0x80070057 is a typical Windows error that may be triggered under different circumstances, and there are couple of reasons that are causing you to get this kind of errors. This error may occur when you try to backup files by using Windows built-in Backup on a computer that is running Windows 7. Some users may encounter it when trying to make a clean installation of Window OS or just install system updates. Beside, other users can also come across error 0x80070057 when using Outlook, Office or external printer. The error messages may shows up like:
- “An internal error has occurred: The parameter is incorrect: (0x80070057)”.
- “Windows could not format partition on disk 0. The error occurred while preparing the partition selected for installation. Error Code 0x80070057″.
- “There were some problems installing updates, but we’ll try again later. If you keep seeing this and want to search the web or contact support for information, this may help–(0x80070057)”.
The causes of Error Code 0x80070057 vary from damaged registry to misconfigured system settings. It’s not funny to encounter this error since it affects normal use. To resolve Error Code 0x80070057, you can follow the solutions given below.
Effective Approaches To Fix Error Code 0x80070057
Way 1: Repair Corrupted Registry With Automated Tool
It is often neglected that, error code 0x80070057 may be closely associated with misconfigured/faulty registry keys. Windows Registry is a hierarchical database that stores crucial configuration information for operating system, applications and hardware devices. As time goes by, the registry will get cluttered with invalid entries. Those junk or corrupted keys or values pile up and pose potential threat on Windows system. Actually, many system errors can be avoided if you keep registry organized and clean. Then how to repair your registry effortlessly? Here we recommend you to use the automated registry tool. It will thoroughly scan your problematic registry and effectively repair those detected issues. To fix Error Code 0x80070057 as quickly as possible, download this automatic tool and do these simple steps below:
- Launch the fix tool and click on the Scan button to scan the Windows Registry.
- Click on Fix button to resolve all the detected issues listed in the scan results.
- Restart your computer to take effect after the fixing process is finished.
Way 2: Alter Misconfigured Decimal Symbol Setting
If Error Code 0x80070057 occurs when you fail to start Windows backup feature, or when the backup process is halted before completion, you need to first check if the decimal symbol is set to ‘.’ (dot). Follow these steps to change decimal symbol setting:
- Go to Start > Control Panel > Clock, Language and Region > Region and Language.
- Click the Formats tab in the Region window and then click Additional settings.
- Type . (dot) in the Decimal symbol field, click OK twice and then restart computer.
Way 3: Add A Registry Key Value Manually
If the decimal symbol has been set up correctly but the problem persists, then try to add a registry key value. You can either utilize Windows Fixit program to perform this method, or edit your registry at your own risk. How to modify the registry:
- Go to Start > Run, type “regedit” in the Open: box and then hit Enter key.
- Locate and then click the following registry subkey: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\System
- Click New in Edit menu, and then choose DWORD Value option.
- Type in CopyFileBufferedSynchronousIo, and then press ENTER.
- Right-click CopyFileBufferedSynchronousIo, and then click Modify.
- Type 1 in the Value data box, click OK and the exit Registry Editor.
Way 4: Create A New Partition &Reinstall Windows
If error 0x80070057 cannot be fixed by aforementioned methods, you need to run a CHKDSK on your OS partition. In some cases error message appears for the reasons like the hard drive you want to backup has bad sectors, SATA cable is not well connected, or the System Reserved Partition is damaged. If you receive this error message when trying to clean install Windows, you might need to delete the existing windows partition where the previous version of Windows was installed including System Reserved Partition, create a new one and format it before installing system.
- Insert the Windows 7 installation DVD, and then start the installation.
- Choose Custom (advanced) type of installation.
- Select Disk 0 partition 1, click Delete and click OK when prompted.
- Select Disk 0 partition 2, click Delete and click OK when prompted.
- Click New, define the disk size, click Apply and then OK when prompted.
- Select Disk 0 partition 2, click Format, and click OK when prompted.
- Click Next to continue the installation after formatting is completed.
Way 5: Rename The SoftwareDistribution Folder
If you receive error code 0x80070057 while trying to update Windows, you can run Windows Update Troubleshooter to fix this error. If it fails to help, then consider this: rename The SoftwareDistribution Folder. This folder is used by system to store services that associate with Windows updates. Oftentimes, the error 0x80070057 can be fixed by renaming this folder, before which the update service should be disabled.
- Go to Start > Run, type %SystemRoot% in the box, and press Enter key.
- Find the folder SoftwareDistribution and right-click it to select Rename.
- Change the folder name to SoftwareDistribution.old.
- Restart Windows Update service and then reboot computer.
After testing the methods above you might have fixed Error Code 0x80070057 properly, but to avoid that kind of error in future you’d better take care of your computer and especially the registry. In my opinion, a professional, reliable and handy optimization tool can be really helpful when you have no idea how to fix various errors. If all of these solutions fail to resolve your problem, leave your comment here so we can improve this article and offer you more detailed information.