Came across problems that prevent you from installing updates by using Windows Update? Constantly received the message of Error Code 80070490 but can’t find the right way to troubleshoot this issue? Most users get this error when trying to update PC either through Microsoft Update website or with Windows update, and the error message usually be displayed as “Error 80070490 (Element not found)”. Now check out the tutorial and test the following approached to fix Error Code 80070490.
Symptom & Causes Of Error Code 80070490:
Most users get the message of Error Code 80070490 while trying to install upgrade by using Windows Update, but this error can be triggered by a couple of reasons. Different users are coming up with different reasons of getting this error, and we would suggest you to first diagnose the root cause of error 80070490. Windows updates and service packs may fail to install if there are corruption errors. For example, an update might not install if a system file is damaged. Windows Update errors 80070490 usually occurs when some system files that’s needed to install updates are corrupted. Another important reason for error occurrence is the registry corruption. Obsolete, invalid and duplicate entries saved in the registry are possible to generate such error codes as well.
If Error Code 80070490 error cannot be troubleshooted in an effective way, you may received more severe computer problems. For the sake of system security, you need to fix Error Code 80070490 error as soon as possible with the guide in this post.
How To Fix Windows Update Error Code 80070490?
Here are some effective and proven methods that you can try by yourself to resolve error code 80070490. Please follow the instructions below to solve update errors.
Method 1: Run Windows Update Troubleshooter
No matter what update error occurs when using Windows Updates service, firstly you can run Windows Update Troubleshooter to fix this update error automatically.
- (Right) click on Start menu and select Search option in the list.
- Input “troubleshooting” in the search box, and click Troubleshooting in the result.
- Click Fix problems with Windows Update under the System and Security.
- Click Next in the pop-up window and follow the prompts to complete the process.
- Open Windows Update and try to install the update again.
Method 2: Rebuild The SoftwareDistribution Folder
If Windows Update Troubleshooter fails to resolve Error Code 80070490, then try this: rename The SoftwareDistribution Folder. That works when the temporary folder of windows update has been corrupted. To do so you need to stop the Windows Update service first. Now refer to the following steps to rename this folder.
- Open Command Prompt and type “net stop wuauserv” to stop Windows Update.
- Head to Start > Run, type “%windir%” and press Enter to open the parent folder.
- Locate and rename the SoftwareDistribution folder to “SoftwareDistribution.old”.
- Open Command Prompt and type “net start wuauserv” to start Windows Update.
After that restart PC and install updates again. Still receive error message 80070490? Then you might use the Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM) tool or the System Update Readiness tool to fix Windows Update corruption errors.
Method 3: Use System File Checker to Repair Damaged Files
Sometimes Error Code 80070490 occurs when system files, like Component-Based Servicing (CBS) manifest, are corrupted. System File Checker (SFC) is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files. You can use this built-in tool to scan your system and to repair missing/corrupted system files. To run the System File Checker, follow these steps:
- (Right) click Start > Search, and type “cmd” in the search box.
- Right click Command Prompt and then click Run as administrator.
- Click Allow if you are prompted for a confirmation in UAC dialog.
- Type in the following command and press Enter key: sfc /scannow.
- Close the Command Prompt window and try to install update again.
If the problem persists, then use the Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM) tool to fix Windows corruption errors. To do this, follow these steps: open an elevated command prompt, and run the following command: DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth. However, if your Windows Update client is already broken, then run this command instead: DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:C:\RepairSource\Windows /LimitAccess.
Method 4: Reset Windows Update Components
If error code 80070490 keeps popping up, you can also try this method: run Windows-based FixIt to reset the Windows update components automatically. Microsoft Fix It Center is an application that will scan your PC for problems, and fix those it can. You can launch this app (if it has been installed on your PC), click the Run Now button and then follow the on-screen instruction to fix common problems with Windows Updates. Besides, you can also reset Windows Update Components manually, But we do not recommend novice users to do so because it is risk-taking.
Method 5: Perform A Repair Installation Of Windows
If none of the methods above help resolve this issue, you may need to perform a repair installation that will restore the current Windows installation to the version of the installation DVD. Repairing Windows won’t damage your personal files or the programs that are installed on your computer. To repair Windows, follow these steps:
- Restart your computer and insert the Windows installation DVD.
- Run setup.exe from your DVD drive and click Install Now in the wizard.
- Click Go online to obtain the latest updates for installation (recommended).
- Click Upgrade in the “Which kind of installation do you want?” window.
- When installation is complete, restart computer and then run Windows Update.
Method 6: Scan Windows Registry To Fix Error 80070490
Apart form damaged system files, Error Code 80070490 can also be triggered by the corruption of registry entries. But modifying the registry manually is not only time-consuming but also risk-taking. To repair potential problems in your registry, you do need a professional and automated fix tool. As an one-click registry repair utility, Advanced Fix can scan, diagnose and then repairs your problematic registry within a few clicks. You just need to launch this tool, click Scan and then Fix button to resolve all the detected registry issues listed in the scan results. Incredibly simple.
This article proposed some practical methods to help fix Windows update error code 80070490. Does any of these help solve your update issue? If you have any question or suggestion about troubleshooting error 80070490, please leave your comment here.